The Scrum Master acts as servant leader and coach for an agile development team using the scrum framework. They are primarily responsible for facilitating scrum ceremonies, removing impediments and coaching the team in agile and the scrum framework. The Scrum Master is additionally responsible for updating the agile management tools, to provide metrics that will provide visibility into the teams' progress within the iteration. The development team relies on the Scrum Master to protect them from distractions that takes their attention away from achieving their iteration goals. The Scrum Master works at the team level and interfaces closely with the Product Owner and at times other business and technical stakeholders. On Agile teams that are part of an Agile Release Train, the Scrum Master works closely with Release Train Engineer and helps the team coordinate with other teams
- Serve and support the Product Owner and development team, especially with respect to refining and managing the product backlog effectively implement Agile/Scrum.
- Act as a servant leader in the Scrum Master role for development scrum teams, including organizing and facilitating sprint planning, daily stand-up, retrospective and demo meetings as well as ensuring that sprint documentation materials (such as the backlog, scrum board, DoR, DoD, etc.) are maintained.
- Build strong working relationships with Product Owners, and support them in leading development scrum teams.
- Ensures the team is practicing the core agile principles of self-direction, self-organization, collaboration, business prioritization, team accountability, and transparency, toward the consistent delivery of working product.
- Remove impediments that would prevent the team from achieving its sprint and release goals (internal and external to the team)
- Ensure that retrospectives produce actionable tasks; follows through to ensure that recommendations are implemented successfully and in a timely manner
- Facilitate the Release planning process for development scrum teams, collaborating closely with Tech Leads and Product Owners, and track progress against Release goals.
- Assist with internal and external communication, improves transparency, and radiates information
- Remain informed about industry trends and best practices concerning agile methodologies and advances those best practices in the organization.
- Communicate and collaborate with other Scrum Masters to understand and instill best practices within the scrum teams
Skills and Experience
- Required: Scrum Master Role for at least 3-5 years for a software development team transitioning from waterfall to agile, preferably in Insurance industry.
- Three (3) or more years managing end-to-end project delivery
- Understanding, experience, and proficiency in Scrum and the SAFe Framework
- Experience with other Extreme programming techniques like TDD, BDD, Refactoring, and Static Code Analysis, Pair Programming, etc.
- Thorough understanding of agile software development values, principles, roles, cadence, velocity, flow and practices, including backlog sizing, release planning, scrums, test driven development, continuous integration, continuous testing, pair programming
- Understanding of, and experience with, facilitation; experience designing and facilitating sprint, release, and project-level retrospectives
- Experience with requirements elicitation, modeling, and business rules in relation to user stories
- Ability to understand technical issues at a high level
- Highly organized, lifelong learner with a track record of continued and recent education in agile and scrum, including training, conferences, user groups, and self-study
- Experience tracking and communicating progress and risks, and removing and/or escalating impediments.
- Proactive focus on outcome and getting results, with clear vision of what it takes to get projects done.
- People-oriented approach, knowing that successful projects rely on people being able to successfully do their part of the work.
- Excellent, respectful, and nuanced communication skills, including the ability to communicate diplomatically and with sensitivity while still " telling it like it is .
- Ability to listen empathetically and assess critical information from different parties with different interests and perspectives, and to lead productive negotiation discussions.
- Experience leading through influence.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or related field of study
- First level Scrum Master Certification (PSM I, CSM, PMI-ACP, SSM) required
- Track record of continued and recent education in scrum, including training, conferences, user groups, and self-study